"Retire" To Your First Home

"Retire" To Your First Home

PhotoMention an RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) and most young peoples' eyes glaze over, as retirement savings are usually the last thing they would consider putting money aside for early in their working lives. But if you know of someone who will eventually be in the market for a first home, you'll want to pass this article onto them as it highlights how a "retirement" vehicle can double as valuable down-payment assistance when the buyer needs it most.

Under the Home Buyers' Plan, a couple may withdraw up to $25,000 each from their RRSPs for a downpayment on their first home, with the stipulation that they repay the money back into their RRSPs over the subsequent 15 years. The RRSP withdrawal money provides a higher down-payment, allowing the couple to qualify for their first home sooner, have lower mortgage payments and possibly even avoid paying CMHC mortgage insurance fees if their down-payment is large enough. First-time buyers may also qualify for a government "First-Time Home Buyers' Tax Credit" and "Land Transfer Tax Rebate".

First-time homeowners would be wise to place "learn about first-time buyer benefits" high on their list of New Year's resolutions! Remember, there's never any obligation for calling with your questions!


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.